[Lcefiec] [FCEyN] Charlas sobre filosofía de la física

Secretaría Académica academica en de.fcen.uba.ar
Mar Mayo 7 10:27:58 ART 2013

El miércoles 29 de mayo tendrá lugar un encuentro en el que disertarán dos
reconocidos filósofos de la física brasileños. Décio Krause (Depto.
Filosofía, Univ. Federal de Santa Catarina) hablará sobre "Why (and how)
to question identity in Quantum Mechanics?" y Osvaldo Pessoa Jr. (Depto.
Filosofía (FFLCH), Universidad de San Pablo) sobre "Interpreting the
Afshar Setup and other experiments in Quantum Physics".

El encuentro se realizará a partir de las 15 hs. en el aula 5 del Pabellón
2. A continuación incluimos una síntesis de ambas presentaciones.

Why (and how) to question identity in Quantum Mechanics?
Décio Krause

It is a fact that quantum mechanics (QM) can be developed within a
mathematical framework involving the standard theory of identity (STI). It
has been treated this way ever. But the implications of STI wouldn't go
unnoticed by philosophers interested in foundations. The main consequence
of STI is that every object is an individual, in the sense of being
distinct from any "other" individual. This is a theorem of the underlying
logic, mainly if we are dealing with finitely many objects, as physics
seems to do. Hence, in particular, Leibniz Principle of the Identity of
Indiscernibles is a theorem, and cannot be questioned (under the
hypothesis of consistency). But QM seems to present us situations where
quanta cannot be distinguished in any way, as entangled systems seem to
show. Before measurement, we cannot speak of the individuality of the
involved objects. Thus, logic (that is, the "classical" underlying
mathematical apparatus) forces us to assume that there are "logical"
hidden variables of some kind, for if the differentiation of quanta cannot
be done by physics, it is a result of the underlying logic. In my work I
have trying to find a way to assume a metaphysics of "non-individuals",
entities that defy STI, but that can be collected into amounts having a
cardinal but not an associated ordinal (that is, there may be many of
them, but they sometimes cannot be discerned in any way, counted, put in
some order, etc.). The conclusion is that STI brings inconveniences for
the foundational analysis of QM. What I propose is to build a QM within a
different mathematical framework where STI doesn't hold, where quanta can
be treated as legitimate indiscernible things, without the usual
mathematical tricks of assuming permutational symmetries of a kind.

Interpreting the Afshar Setup and other experiments in Quantum Physics
Osvaldo Pessoa Jr.

Interpretations of quantum theory may be classified according to an
epistemological criterion (positivist or realist) and an ontological one
(corpuscular, undulatory, dualist, or without ontology), besides an
intentional-emotional aspect. We characterize five general groups of
interpretations, and analyze how they explain certain basic experiments.
Special emphasis will be given to the Afshar experiment, and the
refinements it introduces to the complementarity interpretation.

Saludos cordiales,

Secretaría Académica
Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales
Universidad de Buenos Aires